WHEELING — TaylorMade Printing is celebrating 50 years in business with both a sense of pride and gratitude to all its customers.
“We’ve loved every minute of serving the Ohio Valley and beyond,” Debbie Taylor, the company’s president, is retiring and handing over her responsibilities to her son Scott. “It’s truly been a labor of love serving all our friends. As I look back on the last 50 years, I’m amazed at the changes in services and technologies we offer and am proud of what we’ve set up for TaylorMade’s next 50 years.”
Debbie smiles when she looks back at the company’s development.
TaylorMade sprouted when, in 1972, Debbie’s husband and former company president Jim Taylor called on Chuck Fortney, who ran a small print shop out of his home.
They became friends and formed a partnership.
This partnership was renamed Copies Inc., and it operated at 1618 Jacob St. before moving to its current location at 1909 Jacob St.
“We started our business with an SBA loan of $25,000,” Debbie said. “We spent many nights worrying about how we were going to pay back the loan, but our customers didn’t let us down.”
“I remember those early years were frustrating, but exciting,” Jim said “I knew from the beginning if we offered honest pricing and top-rate service we’d have a good chance of success. And that’s still our credo.”
Naturally, the name of the company was changed. That’s because of all TaylorMade had and continues to add each year.
It doesn’t, however, mean the change was easy.
“At first, we were afraid to change it from Copies Incorporated,” Jim. “It had grown into a recognizable brand. Our equipment and capabilities made us more than just quick-printing. We were full-service.”
It was the start of a new growth spurt in the business.
After six years as a partner, Fortney (who has since died) moved to Florida. Jim and Debbie then took the business over with their son Scott and production manager Jim.
They added a Komori Press in two colors. A Ryobi Press in two colors. Image Setting Equipment was available for more complex jobs.
The changes continue.
“Now,” said Debbie, “the printing industry is geared more toward digital printing rather than offset printing. The Canon ImagePress C8000VP prints the files electronically. We are also a ‘Union’ shop offering political printing and mailing services.”
Taylor has always made it a priority to meet the needs and expectations of its clients.
95 percent of work is performed in-house. The remaining 5 percent is outsourced and strictly monitored.
Debbie stated that Scott will continue to work hard.
“He’s very knowledgeable and loves the printing industry,” She said “He’s been with us for 30 years, starting with making deliveries to learning how to operate the equipment, from cutter, collator, folder and several printing presses. He’s well-versed in management. We have no doubt our friends will continue to have a superior customer experience.”
This location offers 10,000 square foot of space and two indoor loading docks.
This provides not only the space for materials to be stored, but also a good working environment for employees.
TaylorMade is a local marketing agency that serves more than 300 clients, among them Wheelhouse Creative LLC.
Jim and Debbie Taylor are proud of both their son Jim who graduated from The Linsly School and has a doctorate degree in pharmacy. He is now a professor at The University of Florida. Their daughter Crystal is also a Linsly graduate and majored fashion merchandising in Kent State University. She lives in Colorado.
“We are very proud of our children and take great pleasure in their continued success,” Jim and Debbie said.
TaylorMade Printing’s hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
The number for the office is 304-232-1166.